Bromham (St. Nicholas)
BROMHAM (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Devizes, hundred of Potterne and Cannings, Devizes and N. divisions of Wilts, 4 miles (N. W.) from Devizes; containing 1558 inhabitants. This place, which is situated near the Roman road from Marlborough to Bath, appears to have been a villa of the Romans. In 1763, a tessellated pavement and other remains of Roman baths were discovered, which were more fully explored in 1840, when four others were cleared from the earth in which they had lain so many centuries imbedded. The lordship, previously to the Conquest, belonged to Harold, Earl of the West Saxons, and subsequently king of England. Spye Park, about two miles north of the village, in the reign of Charles II. was the property and occasional residence of the Earl of Rochester. The manufacture of fine broad-cloth, and of kerseymeres, is carried on to a moderate extent. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 16. 0½., and in the gift of the family of Starkey: the tithes have been commuted for £780, and there are 79 acres of glebe. The church contains a mural tablet to the memory of Henry Season, M.D., the projector of a well-known almanack; and in an ancient chapel, at the east end, are several monuments to the family of Baynton, formerly lords of the manor. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans. Dr. George Webb, consecrated Bishop of Limerick in 1634, and the Rev. John Collinson, author of the History and Antiquities of the County of Somerset, and who died in 1796, were natives of the parish.