Bromfield (St. Mary)
BROMFIELD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Ludlow, hundred of Munslow, S. division of Salop, 3 miles (N. W. by W.) from Ludlow, on the road to Shrewsbury; containing 531 inhabitants. The surface is undulated, the soil various, and the scenery beautiful. Of 6110a. 3r. 37p., the area of the parish, nearly equal portions are arable and pasture, the latter preponderating; and there is much fine wood, particularly around Oakley Park, the seat of the Hon. R. H. Clive, which is charmingly situated on the banks of the river Teme. Good stone is obtained for building. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6; net income, £334, with a house built in 1845; patron and impropriator, Mr. Clive. The church, which has a square tower, was repaired in 1842. It is part of a larger church that belonged to a Benedictine priory established as a cell to the abbey of St. Peter at Gloucester, about 1155, on the site of a college of prebendaries, or Secular canons, of earlier foundation: the revenue, at the Dissolution, was £78. 19. 4.