Brome, or Broom, South
BROME, or BROOM, SOUTH, a chapelry, in the parish of Bishop's-Cannings, union of Devizes, hundred of Potterne and Cannings, Devizes and N. divisions of Wilts, ¼ mile (S. E.) from Devizes; containing 2285 inhabitants. The chapelry almost encircles the town of Devizes, within the borough of which a small portion of it is included. It comprises 2578a. 38p., whereof 888 acres are arable, 679 pasture, 130 wood, 351 acres nursery-gardens, and about 360 down; the soil is fertile, and affords an abundant supply of fruit, vegetables, and other produce for the inhabitants of the neighbourhood. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £150; patron, the Vicar of Bishop's-Cannings. The chapel, dedicated to St. James, was, with the exception of the tower, nearly rebuilt, at the expense of the parishioners, in 1831.