Brome (St. Mary)
BROME (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Hartismere, W. division of Suffolk, 2 miles (S. S. W.) from Scole; containing 328 inhabitants. This place was for many years the residence of the noble family of Cornwallis. Charles, the fifth baron, was created Viscount Brome and Earl Cornwallis on the 30th of June, 1753; and his son and successor, Charles, having distinguished himself as a military commander in India, was advanced to a marquisate, as Marquess Cornwallis, August 15th, 1792. The fine old mansion called Brome Hall, for so long a series of years the seat of the family, was pulled down by the late marquess, after whose death the estate was sold to Sir Edward Kerrison. The parish comprises 892a. 1r. 34p. The living, a discharged rectory anciently divided into medieties, which were consolidated in 1448, is now united with the rectory of Oakley, and is valued in the king's books at £10. 0. 2½.; net income, £561; patron, Sir E. Kerrison. The tithes of the parish of Brome have been commuted for £224. The church is an ancient edifice, chiefly in the later English style, and contains many costly tombs of the Cornwallis family.