Bromborrow (St. Barnabas)
BROMBORROW (St. Barnabas), a parish, in the union of Wirrall, partly in the Lower, but chiefly in the Upper, division of the hundred of Wirrall, S. division of the county of Chester, 11 miles (N. N. W.) from Chester, on the road to Birkenhead; containing, with the township of Brimstage, 450 inhabitants. This parish is enumerated, by the learned editor of the Saxon Chronicle, among the places which, from the similarity of name, may claim to be the scene of the decisive action fought at Brunanburh, between the Saxons under Athelstan, and the Danes under Anlaf and Constantine, the latter of whom were defeated: other writers, however, disallow the claim. A monastery was founded at this place, then called Brimesburgh, by Ethelfleda, the celebrated Countess of Mercia, about 912; but it was demolished previously to the Conquest, subsequently to which period the manor was given by Ranulph de Gernons, Earl of Chester, to the monks of the abbey of St. Werburgh. Prince Edward, when Earl of Chester, granted a licence in 1277 for a market here on Monday, and a fair on the eve, festival, and morrow of St. Barnabas; both these have long been discontinued. The parish is bounded on the east by the river Mersey, and comprises 1525 acres, whereof 630 are arable, 813 meadow, 69 wood, and the remainder waste. The surface is level, the soil partly sandy loam and partly marl and clay, and the scenery rich and varied: there are good stone-quarries. The Rev. J. Mainwaring is the chief owner of the land, and resides at Bromborrow Hall. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £92; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Chester. The church has been rebuilt, and is of plain pointed architecture; the chancel window is of stained glass, with representations of Our Saviour and the sacramental emblems. A school is supported by the incumbent. Petrifying powers are attributed to a spring here.