Brodsworth (St. Michael)
BRODSWORTH (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Doncaster, N. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York, 5½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Doncaster; containing, with the township of Brodsworth and the hamlets of Pigburn and Scawsby, 467 inhabitants. It abounds with limestone of superior quality, which is extensively quarried. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 6. 10½.; net income, £367; patron, the Archbishop of York. An allotment of land was given in lieu of tithes, in 1815. The Brodsworth estate belonged to Peter Thellusson, Esq., and is now vested in trustees, according to the singular will of that gentleman, who directed that the greater part of his immense property should be allowed to accumulate, and at a future fixed period, in default of a male heir, be applied towards discharging the national debt.