BROCKENHURST, a parish, in the union of Lymington, E. division of the hundred of New Forest, Lymington and S. divisions of the county of Southampton, 4¼ miles (N. by W.) from Lymington; containing 928 inhabitants. The village is of Saxon origin, and is mentioned in Domesday book under the name Broceste. It is beautifully situated on an eminence, on the road from Lyndhurst to Lymington, and commands a finely varied prospect over a considerable portion of the New Forest. The parish comprises 2880 acres, of which 547 are common or waste; the soil is in some places a strong clay loam. The Boldre or Lymington river flows past the northern extremity of the village. The living is united to that of Boldre. The church stands on an artificial mound, and, though somewhat disguised by modern alterations, exhibits various portions of early Norman architecture; it was enlarged in 1834. There is a place of worship for Baptists. Watcombe House, in Brockenhurst Park, was for three years the residence of John Howard, the philanthropist.