Broadwinsor (St. John The Baptist)
BROADWINSOR (St. John the Baptist), a parish and liberty, in the union of Beaminster, Bridport division of Dorset, 3 miles (W. by N.) from Beaminster; containing, with Little Winsor, which is in Redhone hundred, 1661 inhabitants. It comprises by admeasurement 6215 acres, of which 1222 are arable, 4579 meadow and pasture, and 292 wood and orchards. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £15. 8. 9., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Salisbury: the tithes have been commuted for £1282. 10., of which £750 are paid to the vicar, who has a glebehouse, and 9 acres of land; the impropriators have a glebe of 85 acres. A chapel of ease was erected at Blackdown in 1840, in the early English style, and dedicated to the Holy Trinity; it is a neat and substantial building, and will accommodate 300 persons.