Broadwell (St. Peter And St. Paul)
BROADWELL (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Witney, hundred of Bampton, county of Oxford, 5¼ miles (S.) from Burford; containing, with the hamlet of Filkins, and the chapelries of Holwell and Kelmscott, 1051 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 14. 4½.; net income, £270; patron, the Rev. T. W. Goodlake; impropriators, the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Oxford, who lease the impropriation to W. Hervey, Esq. The tithes were commuted in 1775, for land and annual money payments. The church is a spacious cruciform structure, with a massive western tower surmounted by a spire; in the chancel are some mural monuments to the Colston family. Near the churchyard are the remains of a cross. At Holwell and Kelmscott are chapels of ease. On the estate of Broadwell Grove may be traced the line of the Roman Akeman-street, which continues its course towards Akeman-ceastre (Bath).