Broadway (St. Eadburgh)
BROADWAY (St. Eadburgh), a parish, in the union of Evesham, Upper division of the hundred of Pershore, Pershore and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 6 miles (S. E.) from Evesham; containing 1687 inhabitants. The parish comprehends by admeasurement 4692 acres, of which two-thirds are pasture, and the rest arable; it forms the south-eastern extremity of the county, is surrounded on all sides except the north by that of Gloucester, and intersected by the road from Worcester to London. The population is principally engaged in agriculture. There are some quarries of good freestone. The village is pleasantly situated on a plain, and is about three-fourths of a mile in length; the houses are principally of stone, and many of them ancient, forming a very wide street. In the time of Henry III. this place had a market on Friday, and a fair on the eve of St. John; but both have been long extinct. A post-office has been established. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 17., and in the patronage of certain Trustees; net income, £212: land and an annual money payment were assigned in lieu of the tithes of the manor, in 1771. A new church was erected in 1840, on the site of a chapel of ease, an ancient and small building; it is in the early English style, with a handsome tower at the west end, and is capable of containing 1000 persons. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyans, and Roman Catholics. Thomas Hodges, in 1686, gave land for the instruction of 20 poor boys, which was exchanged for an allotment of 62 acres under an inclosure act, now producing £74 per annum.