Broadwas (St. Mary Magdalene)
BROADWAS (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Martley, Lower division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, though locally in the Upper division of the hundred of Doddingtree, Worcester and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 6 miles (W.) from Worcester; containing, with the hamlet of Broadgreen, 326 inhabitants. It is bounded by the river Teame on the south, and comprises 1115a. 2r. 37p. of a stiff clayey soil, the lower part of which is subject to flood: the surface rises from the river, and the scenery embraces fine views of the Malvern hills. The land is equally divided between arable and pasture. The Worcester and Bromyard road crosses the parish from east to west. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 9. 2., and in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester; the tithes have been commuted for £287, and there is a rectory-house with a glebe of 50 acres. The church is an ancient stone edifice, with a wooden tower. A Sunday school is supported by the rector. Sarah Roberts, in 1797, bequeathed money since invested in the purchase of £166. 13. three per cent. reduced annuities, the interest of which is distributed among the poor on New-Year's day.