BROADSTAIRS, a small sea-port and hamlet, in the parish of St. Peter, union of Thanet, hundred of Ringslow, or Isle of Thanet, lathe of St. Augustine, E. division of Kent, 2 miles (N. E. by N.) from Ramsgate, 4 (S. E. by S.) from Margate, and 75 (E.) from London; containing 1459 persons. This place, anciently called Bradstow, exhibits many vestiges of its former importance; and though subsequently reduced to an inconsiderable village, inhabited only by a few fishermen, it has lately risen into celebrity as a place of fashionable resort for sea-bathing, and is visited in the season by many respectable families, for whose accommodation several new buildings, and warm baths with every requisite appendage, have been erected. There are two public libraries, an assembly-room, and an excellent hotel. Her present Majesty, when Princess Victoria, often resided here with the Duchess of Kent during the summer months, at Pierremont House. Leading down to the shore is a stone arch, or portal, with walls built of flint, in which were gates and a portcullis, with a drawbridge attached to it, erected to protect the inhabitants from the incursions of privateers: above the arch is the inscription, "York gate, built by George Culmer, A.D. 1540, repaired by Sir John Henniker, Bart., 1795." At a short distance from the gate stood a chapel, where was placed an image of the Virgin Mary, to whom it was dedicated; in passing which all vessels lowered their topsails, as a mark of reverence. The pier, which is accessible only to vessels of small burthen, was constructed in the reign of Henry VIII., for the safety of the craft employed in the fishing-trade, which was once considerable; it is built merely of wood, and though an act of parliament was passed in the 32nd of George III., for the improvement of the harbour and the pier, the trade had decreased so much that its provisions were only partially carried into effect. The principal source of employment at present is boatbuilding. A neat chapel of ease was erected by subscription, aided by a grant of £400 from the Society for Building Churches, and was consecrated April 15th, 1830; it was enlarged in 1837. There are places of worship for Anabaptists and Wesleyans. Between Broadstairs and Kingsgate is the North Foreland, the most eastern point of England, and supposed to have been the Roman station Cantium mentioned by Ptolemy; a lighthouse was erected on it in 1683.