Broadmayne (St. Martin)
BROADMAYNE (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Dorchester, hundred of George, but locally in that of Culliford-Tree, Dorchester division of Dorset, 4 miles (S. E. by S.) from Dorchester; containing 490 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Dorchester to Wareham, and comprises by admeasurement 1500 acres, chiefly arable land; the soil is chalky, and the produce consists principally of wheat, barley, oats, and turnips. Bricks, of excellent quality, are made to a considerable extent. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of West Knighton, and valued in the king's books at £15. 4. 2.: land and a money payment were assigned in 1805, in lieu of tithes. The church is in the Norman style. Many tumuli of great antiquity may be seen in the neighbourhood.