Broadhembury (St. Andrew)
BROADHEMBURY (St. Andrew), a parish, and formerly a market-town, in the union of Honiton, hundred of Hayridge, Cullompton and N. divisions of Devon, 5 miles (N. W.) from Honiton; containing 851 inhabitants. The parish, according to a recent survey, comprises 4704 acres, of which 2513 are arable, 1101 meadow and pasture, 243 woodland and plantations, 139 orchard ground, and the remainder common and waste: there are some quarries of whetstone. The manor formerly belonged to the Abbot of Dunkeswell, who obtained for it the grant of a market and fair; the former has long been discontinued, but the latter is still held, for cattle, on the 11th of December. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £16. 17.; net income, £227; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is an ancient structure with a handsome tower, and contains 450 sittings. There is a place of worship for dissenters. In the village of Carswell was a small monastery, subordinate to the priory of Montacute; and Hembury Fort comprises the remains of an encampment. The Rev. A. Montague Toplady, the celebrated defender of Calvinistic principles, was vicar of the parish.