Broad-Chalk (All Saints)
BROAD-CHALK (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Wilton, hundred of Chalk, Salisbury and Amesbury, and S. divisions of Wilts, 5¾ miles (S. W. by S.) from Wilton; containing, with the tythings of Knighton and Stoke-Farthing, 775 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, with the vicarages of Alvediston and Bower-Chalk united, valued in the king's books at £27. 14.; net income, £336; patrons, the Provost and Fellows of King's College, Cambridge, the impropriators of the two vicarages. A portion of land was assigned in commutation of a modus on certain estates in this parish and in that of Chilmark, by a private act obtained in 1814. There are several vestiges of antiquity, the principal of which are, an encampment including nearly six acres, and a barrow called Gawen's barrow.