Brixton, or Brighstone (St. Mary)
BRIXTON, or Brighstone (St. Mary), a parish, in the liberty of West Medina, Isle of Wight incorporation and division of the county of Southampton, 7 miles (S. W. by W.) from Newport; containing 710 inhabitants. The village is pleasantly situated, commanding an extensive view of the British Channel; and in the neighbourhood are several of those chasms which form so distinguishing a feature in this part of the coast. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £30. 3. 4., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Winchester: the tithes have been commuted for £670. The church is of very primitive character, with a massive tower surmounted by a low spire of lead; the interior is neatly fitted up. The rectory-house is a pleasant residence, and the glebe comprises 5 acres. The Rev. Noel Digby, rector, conveyed in 1814 an estate in trust for the establishment of a school. The celebrated Bishop Ken was rector of the parish, as was also the present Bishop Wilberforce.