BRIXTON, a parish, in the union of Plympton St. Mary, hundred of Plympton, Ermington and Plympton, and S. divisions of Devon, 5 miles (E.) from Plymouth; containing 823 inhabitants. This parish comprises 2838a. 33p.; and the road from Plymouth to Exeter, through Totnes, and that from Plymouth to Dartmouth, through Modbury and Kingsbridge, intersect the village. Quarries of slate and marble are wrought, the marble being used for building, for the making of lime, and for mending roads; coal and culm are imported, and agricultural produce and slate are exported, by means of the river Yealm, which forms the southern boundary of the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £124; patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor; impropriator, T. Splatt, Esq., whose tithes have been commuted for £642. The church is a remarkably neat structure, in the later English style, and is supposed to have been built about the close of the fifteenth century, with the exception of the chancel, which is part of a former chapel. Lewis Fortescue, a baron of the exchequer in the reign of Henry VIII., was born at Spriddleston; and Elizæus Heale, of the Inner Temple, in the reign of Elizabeth, who was called "Pious uses Heale," from his bequeathing £1500 per annum for charitable purposes, was born at Wollaton; both which places are in Brixton parish.