Brisley (St. Bartholomew)
BRISLEY (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Launditch, W. division of Norfolk, 6 miles (N. W.) from East Dereham; containing 388 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1201a. 2r. 18p., of which 785 acres are arable, 188 meadow and pasture, and 197 common, roads, and gardens. Brisley Green is a fine piece of uninclosed ground of 150 acres, the favourite resort of cricketplayers. The living is a discharged rectory, with the vicarage of Gately annexed, valued in the king's books at £8. 7. 8½.; net income, £486; patrons, the Master and Fellows of Christ-Church College, Cambridge. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a lofty square embattled tower: in the chancel are three sedilia of stone and a piscina. Richard Taverner, who published in 1539 a new translation of the Bible, for which he was committed to the Tower by Henry VIII., was a native of the place.