Brinsley, or Brunsley
BRINSLEY, or Brunsley, a hamlet, in the parish of Greasley, union of Basford, S. division of the wapentake of Broxtow, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 2 miles (N. N. W.) from Greasley; containing 1139 inhabitants. It comprises 888 acres of land, mostly the property of the Duke of Newcastle and the Earl of Mexborough. In this vicinity are extensive collieries, and near the village is a large coal-wharf on the Nottingham and Cromford canal. A neat chapel of ease was built in 1838, at a cost of about £1200, raised by subscription, aided by £200 from the Church Building Society; the Duke of Portland gave £100, and the land, and stone. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.