Briningham (St. Maurice)
BRININGHAM (St. Maurice), a parish, in the union of Walsingham, hundred of Holt, W. division of Norfolk, 4 miles (S. W.) from Holt; containing 243 inhabitants. It comprises 1201a. 2r. 31p., of which 970 acres are arable, 130 pasture and meadow, and 60 woodland. The surface is a good deal undulated; and on a high eminence is Belle Vue, a lofty tower, octangular at the base and circular at the top, from which is an extensive view of the surrounding country and the ocean. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rev. S. Brereton, who is impropriator, and whose tithes have been commuted for £353. The church, chiefly in the decorated style, consists of a nave and chancel, with a square tower on the south; it was thoroughly repaired in 1840.