Brimington (St. Michael)
BRIMINGTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Chesterfield, hundred of Scarsdale, N. division of the county of Derby, 2 miles (N. E.) from Chesterfield; containing 780 inhabitants. This place was severely afflicted by the plague in 1603. The manor of Brimington, formerly an appendage of Newbold, was successively in the families of Breton, Loudham, and Foljambe, the last of whom sold it about 1800: the family of Brimington was extinct in the time of Edward III. The parish, which was separated from that of Chesterfield in 1844, comprises 1252a. 25p., and is situated on the road from Chesterfield to Worksop, on the Chesterfield canal, and near the Midland railway. Stone is quarried for building purposes. An act was passed in 1841, for inclosing the waste lands. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £102; patron, the Vicar of Chesterfield: there are 9 acres of glebe, with a house. The church was rebuilt by subscription, in 1847. There are places of worship for Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans; and a national school, built in 1840, is supported by subscription.