Brightling (St. Thomas à Becket)
BRIGHTLING (St. Thomas Ã Becket), a parish, in the union of Battle, partly in the hundred of Henhurst, but chiefly in that of Netherfield, rape of Hastings, E. division of Sussex, 4 miles (N. W.) from Battle; containing 692 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 4000 acres, of which 1020 are arable, 850 meadow and pasture, 350 common, 120 acres hopgrounds, and 1630 wood. It is diversified with gentle undulations, rising in some places to a considerable eminence; the highest parts of Rose Hill have an elevation of more than 600 feet above the level of the sea. Limestone and sandstone are found in abundance, and great quantities of the latter are quarried for building; ironstone was formerly wrought, and there were furnaces for the smelting of iron-ore. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at Â£11; patron and incumbent, the Rev. J. B. Hayley, whose tithes have been commuted for Â£642. The church is a handsome edifice, chiefly in the later English style, with a low embattled tower, and contains several neat monuments, among which is one to John Fuller, Esq., whose bust is finely sculptured by Chantrey. The Rev. William Hayley, who collected ample materials for a History of Sussex, and whose manuscripts are in the British Museum, was rector of the parish, and was interred here. At Rose Hill is a chalybeate spring.