BRIERLEY-HILL, a district chapelry, in the parish of King's Swinford, union of Stourbridge, N. division of the hundred of Seisdon, S. division of the county of Stafford, 2¼ miles (N. N. E.) from Stourbridge. This is a populous village and chapelry, consisting of several streets, and having in its vicinity numerous collieries, and iron-works on a large scale; steam-boilers and various other heavy articles in iron being manufactured here. There are also glass-works, and some potteries. It appears by an old deed, that coal and ironstone were obtained at this place as early as the 46th of Edward III. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £210; patron, the Rector of King's Swinford; impropriator, Lord Ward. The chapel was erected in 1767, was enlarged in 1823 and again in 1837, and will now accommodate nearly 2000 persons: a magnificent organ has lately been erected at an expense of 400 guineas. In 1834, a national school was built for 500 children, at a cost of £700, whereof £270 were given by the Lords of the Treasury; and in 1846, a handsome infant school was added, the expense of which was £400. The first minister here, was the Rev. Thomas Moss, author of the elegant little poem called The Beggar's Petition; he afterwards removed to Trentham, as domestic chaplain to the Marquess of Stafford.