Bridgford, East (St. Mary)
BRIDGFORD, EAST (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Bingham, N. division of the wapentake of Bingham, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 3 miles (N. by W.) from Bingham; containing 1110 inhabitants. Here, says Horsley, was the Margidunum of the Romans, numerous relies of whom have been discovered in the vicinity, particularly gold, silver, and brass coins of various emperors. Stukeley describes the place as lying within a mile of the station Ad Pontem: he adds, that "the Romans had a bridge across the Trent, with great buildings, cellars, and a quay for vessels to unload at;" and near a place called the Old-Wark Spring, have been found, according to the same authority, "Roman foundations of walls, and floors of houses, composed of stones set edgeways into clay, and liquid mortar run upon them." The parish comprises by computation 1777 acres, and is bounded on the north by the Trent, and on the south by the Fosse road, leading from Newark to the Nottingham and Grantham road: the soil is loamy, with some good tillage and pasture land; and the surface hilly towards the north. The river affords facilities for the conveyance of coal, grain, and other articles; and the manufacture of cotton stockings and lace is carried on to a moderate extent. In the 35th of Edward III., a market was granted to be held on Tuesdays, and two fairs yearly; but no record exists of their having been held. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 8. 6½.; net income, £752; patrons, the President and Fellows of Magdalene College, Oxford. Under an inclosure act, in 1798, 284 acres of land were assigned in lieu of tithes; there are 40 acres of old glebe, and an excellent residence. The church was rebuilt about sixty years since, but considerably reduced from its former dimensions; it had previously much glass, also, embellished with the arms of lords of the manor. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.