Bridge (St. Peter)
BRIDGE (St. Peter), a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Bridge and Petham, lathe of St. Augustine, E. division of Kent, 3 miles (S. E. by S.) from Canterbury; containing 817 inhabitants. It comprises 1161 acres, of which 204 are in wood; the surface is varied, and the soil in some parts chalk, alternated with a rich and fertile loam. The village is situated on the road to Dovor, at the base of two considerable hills; and, from the salubrity of the air, has much increased within the last few years, and become the residence of many respectable families. The river Stour passes through the parish. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Patrixbourne: the church is principally in the Norman style, with a spire. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. The poor law union of Bridge comprises 22 parishes or places, and contains a population of 10,981; the workhouse is a plain brick building.