Brickhill, Little (St. Mary)
BRICKHILL, LITTLE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Newport-Pagnell, hundred of Newport, county of Buckingham, 2 miles (E. S. E.) from Fenny-Stratford; containing 563 inhabitants. This place, which is situated on the great road to Holyhead, was at an early period of considerable importance, and received the grant of a market by charter dated in 1228: a fair was at the same time bestowed, to be held on the festival of St. Mary Magdalene; and by subsequent charter, another, on May 12th. The latter fair is still held, and there is also one on the 18th October; but both are insignificant. The assizes were formerly held here, and for the last time in 1638; the gallows stood upon a heath about a mile distant, and between the years 1561 and 1620 the names of forty-two executed criminal offenders appear among the burials in the parochial register. The parish comprises by computation 1254 acres; the quality of the soil is various, a strong clay being found on the level ground, and on the hills a light sand. The manufacture of plat and lace affords employment to about 200 persons. Prior to the inclosure in 1796, the living was a discharged vicarage, which it is still considered to be, or will be after the next presentation, although at present designated a perpetual curacy: it is in the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury, as impropriator of the rectory, which is valued in the king's books at £9; net income of the minister, £119. Under the inclosure act, land and annual money payments were assigned in lieu of tithes; the glebe consists of 58 acres. The church is an ancient structure of English architecture. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and an endowment of £5 per annum is applied in teaching poor boys. Fine specimens of sulphate of lime have been found.