Brewham, North and South (St. John the Baptist)
BREWHAM, NORTH and SOUTH (St. John the Baptist), in the union of Wincanton, hundred of Bruton, E. division of Somerset; containing 905 inhabitants, of whom 392 are in North Brewham, 3½ miles (E. N. E.) from Bruton. This district takes its name from the river Brew, and is divided into two distinct parishes having one church: North Brewham comprises 2023a. 2r. 10p., of which about 100 acres are woodland and 139 common or waste; and South Brewham, 2661a. 2r. 30p., of which 1845 acres are pasture, 379 arable, and 437 wood. The soil is mostly clay, stony in some places, and in some parts tolerably good mould; the surface is much diversified with hill and dale, and thickly wooded. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £102; patron and impropriator, Sir H. R. Hoare, Bart.: the tithes of North Brewham have been commuted for £169, and those of South Brewham for £180. The church is a neat edifice, lately repaired at a great expense; in the churchyard are the shaft of an old cross, and two fine yew-trees. A chapel formerly stood at North Brewham, the remains of which have been converted into a barn.