BRETTON, MONK, a township and district chapelry, in the parish of Royston, wapentake of Staincross, W. riding of the county of York, 1½ mile (N. E.) from Barnsley; the township containing 1719 inhabitants. The chapelry includes Upper and Lower Cudworth, and comprises 3809 acres, of which 2129 are in Monk-Bretton township and tithe-free. It is intersected by the Barnsley canal and the Midland railway: the population has rapidly increased within the last ten years, and many persons are employed in linen weaving and bleaching. A district church dedicated to St. Paul, containing 700 sittings, was built at a cost of £1200, defrayed principally by subscription, and was consecrated 9th June, 1840; it is in the Anglo-Norman style, built of stone supplied from quarries here, and occupies a site given by Sir George Wombwell, Bart., lord of the manor. The living is in the patronage of the Vicar of Royston, with a net income of £150. A priory of the Cluniac order was founded in the reign of Henry II., the remains of which may still be seen: at the Dissolution, its revenues amounted to £323. 8. 2. An almshouse, comprising six tenements, is supposed to have been founded by Dame Mary Talbot, in 1654; Sir G. Wombwell allows 50s. annually to each, and repairs the buildings.