Brettenham (St. Mary)
BRETTENHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Cosford, W. division of Suffolk, 4 miles (N. N. W.) from Bildeston; containing 367 inhabitants. This place is supposed by some to have been the site of the Roman station Combretonium, which others have endeavoured to fix at Brettenham in Norfolk; but the distances in the Itineraries justify neither of these suppositions. The station was most probably Burgh, near Woodbridge, where are evident remains of a Roman post. The parish comprises by computation 1300 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 3. 11½., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £377.