Brettenham (St. Mary)
BRETTENHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Thetford, hundred of Shropham, W. division of Norfolk, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Thetford; containing 62 inhabitants. It comprises 2001 acres, of which 573 are common and heath. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 12. 6., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Ely: the tithes have been commuted for £200, and the glebe comprises 18 acres. The church is in the decorated style, and consists of a nave only; the chancel, with the parsonage-house, having been burnt down in 1693: the entrance on the south is by a Norman doorway. Roman coins of Vespasian and other emperors, and urns, have been dug up.