Bressingham (St. John the Baptist)
BRESSINGHAM (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Guiltcross, hundred of Diss, E. division of Norfolk, 2½ miles (W.) from Diss; containing 647 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2364 acres, of which 1569 are arable, 634 pasture, and 76 woodland; and is situated on the road from Thetford to Diss, and bounded on the south by the river Waveney, which separates it from Suffolk. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15, and in the patronage of C. Bidwell, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £604. 16.; there are 37 acres of glebe. The church was rebuilt, with the exception of the chancel, in 1527, having been commenced some time previously by Sir Roger Pilkington, Knt., lord of the manor; it is in the decorated style, and consists of a nave, chancel, and aisles, with an embattled tower. Conduit Meadow, in the parish, is so called from a spacious conduit, now in a ruinous state, constructed by Sir Richard de Boyland, to supply some baths and an extensive moat which encompassed his grounds.