Brenchley (All Saints)
BRENCHLEY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Tonbridge, hundred of Brenchley and Horsemonden, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 4¼ miles (N.) from Lamberhurst; containing 2472 inhabitants. The parish comprises 7698 acres, of which 1693 are common or waste, and 1010 in wood. It abounds with iron-ore; and there are some mineral springs, similar in their properties to those of Tonbridge. A cattle-fair is held annually at the hamlet of Matfield Green. The South-Eastern railway passes through the parish. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12. 18. 9.; net income, £749; patron and impropriator, G. Courthorpe, Esq. The church is an ancient cruciform structure, built chiefly of sandstone, with a lofty tower. There is a place of worship for Particular Baptists.