Breedon (St. Mary and St. Hardulph)
BREEDON (St. Mary and St. Hardulph), a parish, in the union of Shardlow, hundred of West Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester, 5¼ miles (N. E. by N.) from Ashby-de-la-Zouch; containing 2625 inhabitants, and comprising the township of Staunton-Harrold, the hamlets of Tonge and Wilson, and the chapelry of Worthington with Newbold liberty. A cell for Black canons was founded soon after 1144, by the prior and monks of St. Oswald, Nosthall, to whom the church and some lands here had been given by Robert Ferrers, Earl of Nottingham; its revenue, at the Dissolution, amounted to the sum of £25. 8. 1. The church which belonged to it is now the parochial church. The parish comprises by computation between 2000 and 2500 acres: the soil in general is very strong, and chiefly calculated for growing wheat; the surface is hilly. The village is situated at the foot of an elevated limestone rock, on the summit of which stands the church: there are considerable lime-works. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 2. 8.; net income, £205; patron and impropriator, the Earl of Stamford and Warrington: in 1759, land and money payments were assigned in lieu of all tithes for the manor. At Worthington is a separate incumbency. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. By deed in 1736, Francis Commins gave £300 towards the support of a school for boys, and Eliza Commins £583 for a girls' school; on which endowments a national school has been established.