BREDBURY, a township, in the parish and union of Stockport, hundred of Macclesfield, N. division of the county of Chester, 2¼ miles (N. E. by E.) from Stockport; containing 3301 inhabitants. The manor was held under the Stockports, by the family of Bredbury, whose heiress brought a moiety of it to the Ardens; the other moiety was for several generations in the Davenports of Henbury, from whom it passed by a female heir to Sir Fulke Lucy: the whole now belongs to the Arden family. The township comprises 2236 acres, the soil of which is clay, gravel, and sand; the surface is undulated or hilly. Coal-mines are wrought; and there is a cotton-mill. The road from Stockport to Hyde, and the Peak Forest canal, pass through the township; and the rivers Goit and Tame bound it on the south and north, respectively. There are three old Halls, of which Arden Hall is a place of great antiquity. A church district, called St. Mark's, was constituted by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1846: the living is in the gift of the Crown and the Bishop of Chester, alternately. Hatherlow Independent chapel, here, was built at the cost of O. Heyworth, Esq., of Oakwood Hall; the Primitive Methodists, also, have a place of worship. The tithes have been commuted for £156.