BREASTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Sawley, union of Shardlow, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, S. division of the county of Derby, 7¾ miles (E. S. E.) from Derby; containing 712 inhabitants. The manor of Breaston, when the Domesday survey was taken, was held with Risley, by Roger de Busli. The chapelry comprises 1250 acres, whereof two-thirds are pasture, and the rest arable, with some woodland. Here is a station on the Midland railway; and the Nottingham and Derby canal passes through. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to that of Risley. A rentcharge of £361, formerly belonging to the prebend of Sawley (a suppressed dignity), has been awarded as a commutation of the tithes; and there is a glebe of nearly 24 acres. The chapel, dedicated to St. Michael, is a neat edifice, with a square tower surmounted by a curious spire. The Wesleyan Methodists have a place of worship.