Braytoft (St. Peter And St. Paul)
BRAYTOFT (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Spilsby, Wold division of the wapentake of Candleshoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 5 miles (E. by S.) from Spilsby; containing 235 inhabitants. It comprises 1815a. 2r. 26p., and is situated on the road from Spilsby to Burgh and Skegness: by a drainage navigation which approaches within three miles, corn may be forwarded to the market at Boston. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £18. 3. 6., and in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor: the tithes have been commuted for £322. 18. payable to the incumbent, and £18. 7. belonging to an impropriator: the glebe consists of 31½ acres. The church is built chiefly of brick. The nave is supported by five pointed arches, springing from octangular pillars, and surmounted by a row of clerestory windows; and above the arch which opens into the chancel is a painting of the Spanish Armada: the font is ancient, and adorned with escutcheons emblazoned with devices representing the Saviour's passion: the east end of each aisle is taken off by screen-work for a chapel. The porch was rebuilt in 1715, and the tower in 1747. The family of Braytoft resided here in 1281; their ancient residence was taken down in 1698. Braytoft was the birthplace of the Rev. T. Scott, author of a very copious Biblical Commentary, and various other publications of considerable merit.