Braunton (St. Brannock)
BRAUNTON (St. Brannock), a parish, in the union of Barnstaple, hundred of Braunton, Braunton and N. divisions of Devon, 5 miles (W. N. W.) from Barnstaple; containing 2274 inhabitants. The parish is supposed to derive its name from that of its patron saint. It comprises 9150 acres, of which 3723 are common or waste; on the west it is bounded by the Bristol Channel, and on the south by the navigable river Taw, at the mouth of which is a lighthouse. A tract of land, comprising about 900 acres, and formerly overflowed by the sea, is considered the richest in the county. There is a mine of manganese. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £16. 3. 6½.; net income, £450; patron, the Dean of Exeter. There is a place of worship for Independents. A free school was founded by the Rev. William Chaloner, in 1667; the endowment was augmented by Arthur Acland, Esq., in 1690, and the income is now £75. The remains of some ancient chapels exist.