BRANTON, a township, in the parish of Eglingham, union of Glendale, N. division of Coquetdale ward and of Northumberland, 9¼ miles (S. S. E.) from Wooler; containing 119 inhabitants. Some antiquaries have supposed that this is the Roman station Bremenium. The township comprises 1143 acres, whereof two-thirds are arable, and the remainder pasture, including 16 acres of plantation. There is a fine freestone quarry, out of which Lilburne tower was built. The village is situated on the south side of the Breamish, and at a short distance west of the road from Morpeth to Wooler. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £60. 10. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians.