Brantham (St. Michael)
BRANTHAM (St. Michael), a parish, in the incorporation and hundred of Samford, E. division of Suffolk, 1 mile (N. by E.) from Manningtree; containing 404 inhabitants. It comprises 1922a. 2r. 20p., of which 1860 acres are in cultivation; the river Stour, which here divides into two branches, is navigable on the southern side of the parish. The living is a rectory, with that of East Bergholt consolidated, valued in the king's books at £25. 10., and in the patronage of Emmanuel College, Cambridge: the tithes of the two parishes have been commuted for £1320, and there are 42½ acres of glebe. There was formerly a chapel in the hamlet of Catawade.