Bramwith, Kirk (St. Mary)
BRAMWITH, KIRK (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Doncaster, Upper division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, W. riding of York, 7 miles (N. N. E.) from Doncaster; containing, with the hamlets of Braithwaite, Hawkhouse-Green, and part of Kirkhouse-Green, 251 inhabitants, of whom 54 are in Kirk Bramwith township. The parish is bounded on the south by the river Don, and comprises by measurement nearly 2000 acres, of which about 1000 are arable, 10 woodland, and the remainder pasture and meadow. The village is situated opposite to Sand-Bramwith, and the hamlets are in the higher part of the vale: Kirkhouse-Green is partly in the adjoining township of Moss, and parish of Campsall. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 18. 4., and in the patronage of the Crown, in right of the Duchy of Lancaster: the tithes have been commuted for £455, and there are about 50 acres of glebe. The church, which is small, and of the simplest form, at first consisted of a nave and chancel, divided by a circular arch having indented mouldings rising from Saxon columns; and a tower at the west end is the only addition that has been made to the original design. It contains a large octagonal font, doubtless coeval with the foundation of the church soon after the Conquest; and the principal entrance, where the arch has the hawk's-head ornament, the cable, and the indentations, is probably of equal antiquity.