Brampton, Church (St. Botolph)
BRAMPTON, CHURCH (St. Botolph), a parish, in the union of Brixworth, hundred of Newbottle-Grove, S. division of the county of Northampton, 4 miles (N. W. by N.) from Northampton; containing 169 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road from Northampton to Welford, and bounded by the river Nene on the east, comprises by computation 1125 acres of rich land in equal portions of arable and pasture, interspersed with fox-covers and plantations, and mostly the property of Earl Spencer. Good stone is obtained for building. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £25. 19. 7., and in the patronage of Corpus Christi College, Oxford; net income, £400, arising from 332 acres of land allotted long since in lieu of tithes: there is a glebe-house. The church is partly in the decorated, and partly in the later, style of English architecture, and contains a large circular font; the stairs of the rood-loft and some ancient benches remain: the chancel was repaired in 1844. There are parochial and Sunday schools, supported by Mr. and Mrs. Beasley.