Brampton (St. Mary)
BRAMPTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the hundred of Leightonstone, union and county of Huntingdon, 1¾ mile (W. by S.) from Huntingdon; containing 1164 inhabitants. This parish, which is seated on the navigable river Ouse, and on the road from London to Cambridge, comprises 3110 acres; about three-fourth parts are arable, and the soil is generally sandy but fertile. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 1. 4.; net income, £160; patron, the Prebendary of Brampton in the Cathedral of Lincoln. The great tithes have been commuted for £93. 10. The church is partly in the decorated and partly in the later English style, with a fine south porch enriched with elegant tracery; it was rebuilt in 1635, and repewed in 1835. Samuel Pepys, secretary to the admiralty in the reigns of Charles II. and James II., and elected president of the Royal Society in 1684, was born here.