Braithwell (St. James)
BRAITHWELL (St. James), a parish, partly in the union of Doncaster, and partly in that of Rotherham, S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York; containing, with the chapelry of Bramley, 800 inhabitants, of whom 447 are in the township of Braithwell, 6½ miles (E. by N.) from Rotherham. In acknowledgment of a subscription raised here towards the ransom of Richard I., when made captive in Germany, a charter for a market and fair was granted to this place on his return from the Holy Land: the former is disused, but the latter is held on the first Wednesday in May; and a cross still remains in the centre of the village, with an inscription in Norman French, dated 1191, commemorating the event. The parish comprises 2930 acres, of which 69 are waste, and the soil is partly limestone and partly clay; in the township are 1368 acres of arable land, 502 meadow, and 7 wood. The country is high, and slightly inclines to the south-east: a great part of the township is uninclosed, and cultivated in very long slips of ground belonging to various proprietors, which gives the surface a bleak appearance in that neighbourhood; but in other portions there is a considerable quantity of wood. The inhabitants manufacture stockings of excellent quality; red-ochre is made, and lime burnt. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 7. 6., and in the patronage of the Crown: all the tithes of Bramley belong to the vicar, and the impropriator of the rest of the parish is the Earl of Scarborough; the incumbent's tithes have been commuted for £351, and those of the earl for £368. The church is an ancient edifice, with a square tower; an arch, of very early style, separates the chancel from the nave. At Bramley is a chapel of ease; also a place of worship for Wesleyans. Of the several powerful springs in the parish, the chief are the Town well and Holy well.