Brafield-on-the-Green (St. Lawrence)
BRAFIELD-on-the-Green (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Hardingstone, hundred of Wymmersley, S. division of Northamptonshire, 5 miles (E. by S.) from Northampton; containing 428 inhabitants. It comprises about 1300 acres, including between fifty and sixty acres of woodland, and is mostly arable; the surface is undulated, and the soil principally clay, and generally fertile. Gravel and stone are obtained, but only fit for the repair of roads. Shoes are made by the greater portion of the male population, and pillow-lace by nearly all the females. The village lies on the Northampton and Bedford road, and within a mile of the Peterborough railway, which passes through about two acres of land belonging to the Rev. Christopher Smyth. The living is a discharged vicarage, annexed to that of Little Houghton, and valued in the king's books at £6. 13. 6¼. The church was in the early English style; but the character of the body of it was completely destroyed about fifty years ago, when the edifice underwent a thorough repair: the tower remains in its original state, but its beauty is much spoiled by unsightly buttresses. The Baptists have a small place of worship; and there is a handsome school-house, lately built by the vicar, the Rev. C. Smyth, who also supports an infant school. Coal and clothing clubs have been established.