Brafferton (St. Peter)
BRAFFERTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Easingwould, wapentakes of Hallikeld and Bulmer, N. riding of York; containing 873 inhabitants, of whom 179 are in the township of Brafferton, 4½ miles (N. E.) from Boroughbridge. The parish includes the townships of Helperby and Thornton-Bridge, and comprises 4565 acres: the village adjoins Helperby on the east side of the river Swale. The York and Newcastle railway intersects Pill-Moor. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 15. 6., and in the patronage of the Crown, with a net income of £307; appropriator, the Archbishop of York. The church was rebuilt in 1832, at the expense of £1300, raised by subscription. Brafferton Spring, north-east of the village, is a noted fox-cover.