BRADSHAW, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish and union of Halifax, wapentake of Morley, W. riding of York, 3½ miles (W.) from Halifax; containing 3499 inhabitants. This district was formed subsequently to the erection of a church here in 1838; the scenery is strikingly diversified, and from the summit of Soil-hill is a very extensive view, embracing the cathedral and city of York, with the adjacent country for 40 miles around. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the various worsted-mills, in wool-combing and handloom weaving, and in collieries and quarries. The church, dedicated to St. John, was erected at an expense of £1200, of which £800 were given by the late Mrs. Elizabeth Wadsworth, and the remainder by the Parliamentary Commissioners; it is a neat structure in the early English style, with a square tower, and contains 350 sittings, of which 125 are free. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Halifax, with a net income of £150. There are places of worship for Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Methodists of the New Connexion. A national school was erected by Mrs. Wadsworth, who endowed it with £20 per annum; and that lady also bequeathed funds for the erection and endowment of six almshouses for aged females; the buildings were completed in 1841, and form a neat range in the Elizabethan style.