Bradley, North (St. Nicholas)
BRADLEY, NORTH (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Westbury and Whorwelsdown, hundred of Whorwelsdown, Whorwelsdown and N. divisions of Wilts, 2 miles (S.) from Trowbridge; containing, with the chapelry of Southwick, 2427 inhabitants, of whom 1043 are in North Bradley tything. The parish is bounded on the west by the river Frome, and comprises by measurement 3978 acres, of which 2764 are pasture, 927 arable, and 287 woodland; the soil is for the most part a strong clay, and the surface hilly, except to the north, where a small portion is level. Bradley stream enters from the south, and, pursuing a northern course, empties itself into the Trow. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £11; net income, £398; patrons and impropriators, the Warden and Fellows of Winchester College. In the tything of Southwick, at the extremity of the parish, is an additional church, called Christ Church, erected under the auspices of the late Dr. Daubeny, Archdeacon of Sarum, and incumbent of the parish. At a short distance from the parish church is a neat edifice of Bath freestone, erected and endowed in 1808, by the archdeacon, as an asylum for aged persons of respectable character, reduced to poverty; and attached to the asylum is a school. The endowment consists of property invested in the funds, producing about £120 per annum. A building called the Vicar's poor-house was erected by the same munificent benefactor, for the reception of twelve poor persons. There is one place of worship for Wesleyans, and two for Particular Baptists.