Bradford-Peverell (St. Mary)
BRADFORD-PEVERELL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Dorchester, hundred of George, Dorchester division of Dorset, 3¼ miles (N. W. by W.) from Dorchester; containing, with the hamlet of Muckleford, 355 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises by measurement 2180 acres, is situated on the river Frome, and bounded on the north by the main road from Dorchester to Yeovil, and on the south by the road to Bridport. There is an old Roman way in a straight line from the village to Dorchester; and in the vicinity are several tumuli, some of which, on being opened, were found to contain urns, burnt bones, coins, and various other relics of the Romans. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 2. 11.; net income, £229; patrons, the Warden and Fellows of Winchester College: corn-rents were assigned in lieu of tithes in 1798, and there are about 50 acres of glebe, with an excellent house. The church is a plain edifice: a good arch divides off the chancel; and on stained glass in one of the windows is the coat of arms of William of Wykeham.