Bradfield (St. Andrew)
BRADFIELD (St. Andrew), a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Theale, county of Berks, 8 miles (W.) from Reading; containing 1042 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4057a. 3r. 19p., according to a survey made in 1838. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 7. 8½., net income, £788; patron and incumbent, the Rev. T. Stevens. A parochial school, or school of industry, was established by the parish officers for the purpose of giving employment and instruction to poor children; the arrangements are superintended by the family of the rector, who chiefly support another school. The union of Bradfield comprises 29 parishes or places, of which 25 are in Berks, 3 in the county of Oxford, and one in the county of Southampton; and contains a population of 15,557. A monastery was founded here by King Ina, before 699.