Bradden (St. Michael)
BRADDEN (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Towcester, hundred of Green's Norton, S. division of the county of Northampton, 3¼ miles (W.) from Towcester; containing 171 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the south-east by the river Tow, and comprises by measurement 1011 acres, whereof about twothirds are in permanent pasture. The soil is generally strong, inclining to clay; the surface rather undulated, with gentle inclinations and slopes; and the meadows subject to occasional floods. Stone is quarried for roadmaking. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 6. 8.; net income, £227, arising from 192 acres of land, allotted at the inclosure of the parish in lieu of tithes; patron and incumbent, the Rev. C. Ives: there is a glebe-house. The church is of an indistinct style of architecture; the date of its erection is unknown, but it appears to have been restored about the beginning of the 18th century. A school is supported by the clergyman and the parishioners. There existed a curious old manor-house, supposed to have been built by the Hospitallers of St. John of Jerusalem; but it became necessary, from its ruinous state, to take it down in 1818.